Sick of trying to manage your pain symptoms alone? Call us today.
Have you lately been in a car accident or suffered a sports injury? If you have, chances are you are still coping with the consequences. It’s time to make a change if you’re suffering from acute or chronic pain and haven’t found relief.
To learn more about how our licensed physical therapists at Moon Physical Therapy can help you live a pain-free life, request an appointment at our Mililani, HI clinic today!
Physical therapists can help alleviate pain symptoms
The typical physical therapy treatment consists of multiple targeted exercises and stretches for pain relief. These exercises are given to you to improve the function of your core muscles. Some physical therapists use bikes, exercise balls, weights, or other tools to help restore movement and range of motion.
Using your body weight with pushups and lunges may also be part of the treatment plan. All of the exercises are designed to provide pain relief, target problem areas, and relax muscles.
Physical therapy aims to reduce and eliminate pain while improving mobility and function. According to WebMD, “Physical therapy is often one of the best choices you can make when you have long-term pain (also called chronic pain) or an injury. It can make you stronger and help you move and feel better.”
What kinds of treatment methods do PTs use?
Other modalities in physical therapy may also be used to achieve pain relief. A few are as follows:
- Ultrasound therapy. Some physical therapy treatment plans include electrical stimulation, where currents are sent to soothe affected areas and reduce pain.
Ultrasound technology can send sound waves deep into inflamed tissues and joints, blocks pain signals from going to the brain, and is helpful for musculoskeletal problems.
- Massage therapy. Massage therapy is a manual technique used to increase mobility in tight or restricted areas. This is done with rhythmic stretching and applying deep pressure to fibrous muscle tissue. Massage treatments help break up scar tissue and adhesions caused by inflammation or injury. It also improves blood flow and circulation to the affected muscles and soft tissues.
- Direct manipulation. Direct manipulation of the joints can be done to improve functioning and maintain proper alignment.
- Hot and cold therapy. Heat and ice packs can be applied to the affected areas to decrease inflammation and pain. This is a very common treatment method in physical therapy and can be used to supplement other forms of pain relief.
Are you suffering from these common conditions?
According to the APTA, “Studies have established the efficacy of physical therapy in treating and reducing pain and preventing chronic pain.” Here are a few common conditions that can be relieved or even eliminated with the help of a professional physical therapist.
- Arthritis: Arthritis is frequently misunderstood as a condition that primarily affects the elderly; yet, it may afflict everyone, regardless of their age! Individuals with hip and knee osteoarthritis can benefit from therapeutic exercise regimens that reduce pain and enhance physical function.
- Lower back pain & sciatica: Sciatica is a painful ailment that affects the buttocks, thighs, and legs. Numbness, burning, or tingling sensations are also frequent on various leg regions. Physical therapy exercises and stretches can help relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve and, as a result, reduce back pain in multiple areas.
- Rehabilitation before and after surgery: “Pre-hab, or rehabilitation before to surgery, is becoming increasingly popular. It has been discovered that it improves patient outcomes and recovery time. Studies have also shown that beginning physical therapy about a month before a scheduled surgery can significantly reduce recovery time. It’s also essential to see a physical therapist throughout the healing time after a procedure to maintain optimal muscle and joint alignment as you learn to move around again,
Preventing injuries with physical therapy
Even after an injury has healed completely, the nervous system may continue to generate pain signals. A physical therapist can teach you about sensory re-education for chronic pain and provide pain relief. The neural system is desensitized due to sensory re-education, which reduces sensitivity to the damaged area.
Your physical therapist can also teach you new methods to move in everyday life to avoid re-harming the same area of your body or injuring yourself again. If you carry heavy objects frequently, for example, you’re likely to strain muscles without noticing it until it’s too late. Physical therapists can teach you how to bend and lift properly without injuring yourself.
Request an appointment with Moon Physical Therapy today
If you’re struggling with the discomfort that’s affecting your daily life, it’s time to take action. It’s time to put an end to the tightness, aches, and inflammation that keeps you from doing the things you love every day!
A physical therapist can assess your condition, discover any underlying health issues, pinpoint the source of your pain, and establish a treatment plan that is personalized to your specific needs.
To learn more about our pain management and alleviation alternatives, contact Moon Physical Therapy in Mililani, HI today; our physical therapists are here to assist!